Sunday, March 15, 2009

Elephant lifts child, lets her off unhurt

The Telegraph
February 2, 2009


Alipurduar, Feb. 1: A wild elephant lifted up a five-year-old girl by the trunk, brought her outside the hut and for almost half-an-hour held the screaming child in between its fore legs as her father watched helplessly from a distance.
The girl was unhurt, but there were no witnesses to narrate how the elephant let her go since Gobinda Das had, by then, fallen down unconscious. The father had been hit by a stone hurled at him by the elephant.

“I could do little. It was dark and the animal was huge. It stood there with my child between its front legs for half-an-hour. At first I was too scared to move. When I mustered up courage and ran towards it, it flung a stone at me. I don’t know what happened after that. When I regained my senses, my daughter Kalpana was sitting beside me, too shocked to speak,” said Das from his hospital bed today.

For the full article click on the story title

No comments: